HOW CAN I HELP CONSERVE WATER?
- Don't leave taps running unnecessarily.
- In summer store drinking water in the refrigerator.
Donít let the tap run while you are waiting for cool water
- Wash fruit and vegetables in a bowl rather than under a
running tap and use the leftover water to water house
- When cooking don't use more water than you need in
saucepans. It not only wastes water but energy too.
- Don't leave the tap running while you brush your teeth or
- Bathing uses 20% of household water consumption. Take showers rather than baths.
A five minute shower uses one third of the water you'll use
for a bath.
- Reduce the amount of water you use to flush your toilet. If
you don't have a special low-flush cistern then you can reduce
the volume you use per flush by placing a brick wrapped in a
plastic bag into the bottom of the cistern.
- Dripping taps can waste up to 5 litres of water a day.
Replace any worn tap washers.
- When using your washing machine always try to make up a
full load, as the half-load programmes use more than half
the water and energy of a full-load programme.
- When using a dishwasher wait until you have a full load
before starting the cycle. Incidentally, a new dishwasher uses
only 40% of the water of hand-washing a comparable amount
(older models use about 60%).
- Wash your car with a bucket and sponge. This uses much
less water than using a hosepipe.
IN THE GARDEN